Lawrence Boys and Girls Club

  • STORE
  • ALUMNI
  • CONTACT US
  • EN ESPAÑOL
SEARCH

History

The Boys & Girls Club of Lawrence was founded in 1891 to provide youth 7-18 years old with opportunities that foster their physical, emotional, intellectual, and social growth. With recreation as a base, programs are offered to enable youth to develop to their full potential, with the guidance of positive adult role models.

First Club The original Lawrence Boys Club, located on 224 Broadway Street, opened in March 1891.

Haverhill St. In 1918, the Boys Club moved to a 21,000-square-foot facility on Haverhill Street in Lawrence.

Boys and Girls Club of LawrenceIn 1963, the club built a new facility on Water Street in Lawrence. In 1990, the Boys Club became the Boys & Girls Club of Lawrence and began serving girls as full and equal members. That same year, the Beacon Club opened in the Beacon Projects in South Lawrence.

Since 1991, four Boys & Girls Club of Lawrence members have been recognized by the President of the United States in the Oval Office as part of Boys & Girls Clubs of America’s National Youth of the Year competition.

imageIn 2007, the Boys & Girls Club of Lawrence built a 58,000-square-foot, state-of-the art facility on the same site on Water Street. Once that building was complete, the former club was torn down.

join the club
Did You Know?

There are currently over 150 members of the 1891 Club, the most prestigious donor society at the Boys & Girls Club of Lawrence.